Saturday, July 5

Just ride off the map in the rain...

Here I am now, in terminal 4 of JFK, killing the 6 hours I have in between flights. It's what I like to call the mourning period of a vacation. When you're coming to terms with letting go of everything you loved about your vacation. Accepting that it will be at least another year or two before you can return to some of those things. Wondering how long before some of the memories fade, and which ones you'll reminisce about in twenty or fifty years. Reflecting on some of the experiences that have changed you as a person. Returning to a different culture, a different way of life.

It was another another awesome vacation. Visiting New York was great. So was hanging out with Kevin for a month; experiencing new cities; meeting new people; practicing German; German food, beer, culture; living differently for a few weeks; all the compromises that made both of our personalities more flexible.
I'm certainly reluctant to let it go. But I know I'll be back. Sooner than later. I'm a bit envious that Kev gets to stay there another month. But he earned that. He'll keep the spirit going a while longer.

So that brings me to looking forward to the other end of the next flight. Coming home to San Francisco.
I'm not sad that I'm back. And I'm not excited about it either. I was having an incredible time abroad, but things are incredible here too. Friends, kitty, lifestyle, work. They're always great to come home to. And this time probably more than any time before.

Till next time!

5 comments:

glxblt said...

Hooray!

bvernot said...

welcome home, matt!

kevateria said...

matt! truely was an incredible trip. thanks for the blog and the pictures, i just had one edit for the weihenstephan post. anybody who wants to follow a little of what's going on now here in kassel can come on over to kevateria.blogspot.com... the adventure continues (slightly) there. thanks to everyone else who posted and\or read the blog!
-kev

Unknown said...

does this mean kevin stops bloggin?

Unknown said...

oh. now i read and move to kevateria.com.